Tuesday, September 23, 2008

NMR: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

This is probably the lone, high-profile, well-reviewed movie from 2007 that I had not seen yet, which is why I put it in my queue. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. The movie has a strong cast who deliver some fine performances. And the film is beautifully shot. But despite those strengths, I can't recommend this film because it's just plain dull. The movie plays like a PBS special with a big budget. Based on a book, the film picks and chooses random points in the relationship between James and Ford to highlight their strange working relationship. Given that you know what happens based on the film's title, there is too much time spent leading up to that moment. I would have preferred if the entire movie would have focused on the aftermath of the incident. The film briefly shows Ford's quasi-celebrity status and eventual backlash for killing James and I wish that had been explored more in-depth.

If you like moody westerns, you'll probably love this movie. Someone made a comparison to McCabe and Mrs. Miller, which is accurate; too bad I hated that film too. As a critic, there is a lot to applaud in this film. However, as a movie fan, I would say not to bother with this unless you're trying to cure insomnia. Rating: **

No comments: