Thursday, January 6, 2011

NMR: The A-Team

Technically, I saw this on Amazon On Demand since I had a free credit with them and those stupid release date rules have prevented this film from being available on Netflix yet, but who's counting? I have to say that I was actually somewhat disappointed in this. This was loud and noisy and lacked the fun that I was expecting to see. That's not to say that it didn't appear that the actors were not having fun. Every other scene seemingly had them laughing like they were all mental patients, not just Murdock, over the destruction that they were causing. It felt like they modernized the wrong elements of this film. I wanted the cheesiness of the original show from the 80s intact and instead got a much more serious, high stakes and high octane mood here. On the other hand, there was absolutely nothing fresh about the storyline. How many times have we see the longtime friend turn out to be the traitor because he was 'doing what was best for the country'. It felt so tired and played out. In addition, I would have preferred a story where the A-Team had already been established and not an origin story. That may work for comic book movies, but it was unnecessary here. At times the film does pop with energy, but overall this was lacking. Perhaps I had the wrong expectations going into this film, but I just wasn't eating what they were serving. Rating: ** 1/2

No comments: