Thursday, July 7, 2011

NMR: How Do You Know

I guess I had one more film from 2010 to see after all. Then again, I didn't really think that this film had a chance to make it on my Top Ten list. Which is not to say that I didn't think there was a chance at one point. When you combine the skills and acclaim of director James L. Brooks with a fine cast that includes Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, and Jack Nicholson, it seems like you've got a real winner on your hands. So I was certainly surprised when the reviews were poor. Perhaps more surprising though was the weak response it received from audiences. On Netflix, the film has just barely over a 2 star rating. Given the generosity of Netflix viewers, that's pretty bad. But I had to see for myself if everyone was completely off base or not. While I would agree that it is not great, I think the biggest problem that most people had with the film is not really a flaw at all. The central story revolves around Witherspoon's character who at a crossroads both professionally and romantically. She's currently being wooed by two men and doesn't know who to be with. This type of plot is common in movies and can often be well received. The problem here is that the film doesn't make it clear which guy we should be rooting for. Both guys have flaws and those flaws are emphasized more than their strengths. Most of America is too stupid to appreciate this complex problem and wants to be told like sheep what the happy ending should be. So in that regard, I actually give the film credit and found the approach refreshing. With that said, the film does have problems. At his best James L. Brooks can develop characters that the audience can immediately become invested in and are engaged by (see As Good As It Gets). Here, with the exception of Reese's character, no one else is fully developed. Instead of creating rich characters, it felt like Brooks did nothing with Rudd and Wilson's characters and left it up to the actors to rely on their standby personas again (Wilson's laid-back and self-centered, while Rudd's a neurotic mess). The addition of a current events subplot involving Rudd and Nicholson (playing his father) and their potential financial scandal is boring and drags the film down. Despite the film's problems, I still like this cast a lot and enjoyed seeing them on screen together. I would not have recommended for anyone to see this in the theater, but I think watching it from the comfort of your home has softened the film's weaknesses and makes it possibly worth a recommendation if you're looking for a romantic film. Rating: ***

No comments: