Wednesday, July 11, 2012

RBR: Safe House

Familiarity breeds contempt as the old saying goes. In Safe House, there's a lot of familiarity to the story. While I would not go as far as saying that I have contempt for the film, I am disappointed, they couldn't do more here or at least create a more intelligent script. The story centers around Tobin Frost (played by Denzel Washington), a former CIA agent who is now believed to be a traitor to the United States. After remaining off the grid for nearly a decade, he shows up at a safe house in Cape Town, South Africa where a wet behind the ears agent (Ryan Reynolds) is tasked with keeping him alive while everyone else seems to want him dead. Once again, I fail to see the appeal of Reynolds as an actor. Though this is far from his worst performance, he still comes off as unconvincing in this role as a novice agent. On the other hand, Washington manages to rise above the mediocre material and deliver antoher compelling performance. I would have liked for there to have been more engaging dialogue between Washington and Reynolds' characters, but the film opts to pad its run time with several chase sequences and gun fights instead. I also felt that there was information pertaining to several characters' motivations that should have been revealed sooner. I get trying to build some suspense, but in this case it prevented me from becoming more interested in the outcome of the people in the film. Safe House is a perfectly serviceable action thriller, but it had the potential to be so much more. Washington is the only real stand out here, so if you're a fan of his, I'd definitely recommend you check it out. Rating: *** 1/2

No comments: