Saturday, February 2, 2013

RBR: Trouble With the Curve

Before I get to the review, I just wanted to say that I was disappointed in myself for the lack of posting I had in January. So to make up for it, I've decided to do a little experiment. I'm going to see how many days in a row I can post a new movie review on here. My goal is to go at least a month, but we'll just take it one day at a time. And now on with the review...

At this point in his life, Clint Eastwood doesn't need to still make movies, but I'm certainly glad he does. In Trouble With the Curve, he plays Gus, a baseball scout who's struggling to keep his job as his eye sight begins to fail him. To ensure a successful scouting trip, Gus' daughter (the always adorable Amy Adams), who has an, at best, strained relationship with her father decides to go on the road with him. Being a fan of baseball, I always appreciate when it's the central focus in a film, but this is not one of the better depictions of the sport. Here, it pretty much serves as a backdrop for the father-daughter story. I'm perfectly fine with that though because I was engaged by that story. Adams gives a wonderful performance and Clint has the crabby old man part down to a tee by now. You also have likeable performances from Justin Timberlake as a young new scout and John Goodman as the head of scouting and Gus' best friend. I wish the film had a few more surprises. It is patently obvious how every storyline will play out 30 minutes into the film. Even someone with as bad of eyesight as Gus would be able to see what's coming. Thankfully the amiable cast and the usage of baseball make this an enjoyable film, especially on the small screen. If you happened to miss this one in the theaters, like so many people did, I suggest you give it a shot now that's out on DVD and Blu-Ray. This isn't a home run, but I'd say it's at least a satisfying double. Rating: ****

No comments: