Friday, April 5, 2013

RBR: The Master

I actually watched this several weeks ago, but have had difficulty finding the time to write this review. And I don't mean that I haven't had any free time, it's that this movie had a more profound impact on me than most that it made it more difficult to put my thoughts into words. This is the latest film by noted director Paul Thomas Anderson, who also helmed films like Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood. Once again he displays visual mastery with the way he depicts the action that unfolds on the screen. He also has another sprawling, yet captivating narrative that establishes interesting characters that equally puzzle and fascinate audiences. Anderson seems to frequently tell stories that rely on the theme of mentor/protege and in this film, that relationship is brought to the forefront. The Master earned a lot of buzz prior to its release when it was believed that this film was intended to be a scathing commentary on Scientology. While some parallels can be drawn, I found myself not really caring whether or not this was based on any actual group and was instead just invested in these particular people. Phillip Seymour Hoffman plays Lancaster Dodd, the charismatic leader of a group referred to as The Cause, who takes Freddie Quell (Joaquin Phoenix), a Naval veteran struggling with issues of anger and alcoholism, under his wing. As we listen to Dodd and watch the way Freddie follows him, it becomes apparent that this movie is more than just determining whether or not Dodd is a charletan. This is about control and the tenuous nature of staying in control. When do we let others control us and when, if ever, do we take control of our own lives? The answers aren't always clear and Anderson doesn't make it any easier for us to try and find out those answers with the way he presents this story. Certain scenes take on an almost dreamlike state to make you further distance you from a grounded reality. This is not the easiest film to follow, but those who are up for a challenge will be greatly rewarded. The film looks great, is filled with terrific performances (included an understated performance by Amy Adams playing Dodd's wife), and gives you plenty to think about long after you've finished watching it. I can't say this is a movie that I eagerly want to watch repeatedly, but if I get a chance to see it again, I feel I will no doubt uncover even more about what's going on than I did in my first viewing. It's a shame that this did not get even greater recognition during the awards season, because it's certainly worthy of it. Fans of Paul Thomas Anderson need to do themselves a favor and check out this spellbinding film. Rating: **** 1/2

No comments: