Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cleveland sports roundup

I haven't talked much about Cleveland sports lately since things have been so dreary, but there's finally some good news to share.

Wood expected to sign two-year deal with Tribe

So it looks like the Indians have got themselves a closer for next year. I'm cautiously optimistic about this deal. Wood was great as a closer for the Cubs last season, but has been known to have injury problems. If he can stay healthy, I think this is a very good move for the Tribe and helps bolster the back end of that bullpen.

Sabathia to accept Yankees' offer

I know this isn't really Indians' news, but I wanted to talk about it anyways. I am really disappointed to hear this. Not just for the fact that the Yanks got a really good pitcher, but because it seems like this was a move done out of greed. C.C. has talked about nothing but playing back in his home state of California and in the National League so he can bat. Last I checked, New York doesn't meet either of those criteria. I know the economy is tough, but for C.C. to forego his dream for big money is disappointing. And it sickens me to see so many people struggling financially, yet Steinbrenner can give out $160 million like it's nothing. Ugh.

Browns eye Schottenheimer for 2009

Speaking of disappointing, the Browns certainly have had a disappointing season. And as a result there is a lot of talk of Romeo Crennel getting fired at the end of the year. While I can understand that move, I don't necessarily think Romeo deserves to get fired. If anyone deserves to go, it's GM Phil Savage. But if Romeo does go, I'm very interested by this news of Marty ball possibly returning to Cleveland. I think he got the shaft out in San Diego and could possibly provide the spark that this team needs. I know a lot of the new, inexperienced coaches have done well in the NFL this year, but I think Schottenheimer is a proven commodity that could take the talent that is on this team and turn them back into winners. But again, this is all speculative at this point, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Finally, I just want to applaud that Cleveland Cavs for their fine start to this NBA season. I typically don't cover the Cavs because I am not a big fan of pro basketball, but you have to be impressed with this 9 game winning streak where they are just crushing their opponents. I'll enjoy it now, but we need them to play like this in the playoffs before I'm truly convinced. Let's face it, if we have even the slightest chance of keeping Lebron, it's going to take us being a championship-caliber franchise. For now, let's just hope they keep this up.

No comments: