Wednesday, July 15, 2009

NMR: What's up doc?

Here's a handful of recent documentaries I recently caught through Netflix...

The League of Ordinary Gentlemen: This is a bowling documentary, yes a bowling documentary, made a couple years ago that attempted to chronicles the PBA's attempt to become mainstream again. This was an interesting subject to me (why else would I have bothered watching it), but the film is too scattershot to be really good. They focus on too many different topics and none of them are particularly engaging. Only if you truly love the sport should you seek out this movie. Rating: ***

Murderball: I found this to be a truly remarkable documentary. Made in 2005, this film covers the U.S. quadrapelegic rugby team. Through the film, we get to learn about the sport, its atheletes and also what these guys have to endure on a daily basis living in a wheelchair. Like the bowling film, Murderball covers a lot of different subjects, but it wasn't a problem here because each vignette is interesting and moving. A well done documentary that I highly recommend. Rating: *****

I.O.U.S.A.: I probably shouldn't include this here because I didn't actually see the whole film. The reason being is that there was a problem with it on Netflix's instant viewer. It just stops halfway through. But I will comment on what I did see in case you want to rent a hard copy of it. This is a sobering documentary about our country's current financial problems. At times it can be a bit overwhelming with the amount of statistics they throw at you. I felt I was back in Professor Rapp's economics class. But I felt the argument was very balanced (i.e. non-partisan) and really aimed to explain where we went wrong and what we have to do to stop this problem. I'll do my best to watch the rest of this when I can. Until then...Rating: N/A

No comments: