Saturday, May 29, 2010

NMR: The Private Eyes

When I was a kid, my family and I would spend every Sunday afternoon watching old Disney/family movies. Every week we would scour our local video stores to find one we had never seen before. I fully believed we had seen everything in existence, so it came as quite as a surprise to see on Netflix this 1980 comedy starring Don Knotts and Tim Conway as bumbling detectives. Surely had we ever seen this film on the shelves at the video store we would have rented it. While The Private Eyes is very similar to other Knotts/Conway pairings (like The Apple Dumpling Gang), some of their appeal is lost on me now as an adult. As a kid, they were a fun romp, now some of the comedy just seems dumb. I was surprised though that the film didn't feature more slapstick. Instead, most of the comedy comes from Knotts and Conway being real stupid, yet somehow still solving the case. The film plays like an extended episode of Inspector Gadget only without all the cool gadgets. If you have an appreciation for these type of films, you'll probably find enough amusement in this outing. Otherwise, there's no bother in checking this out. Rating: ***

No comments: