Saturday, June 5, 2010

NMR: Daybreakers

Clearly anyone that knows me knows that I want nothing to do with the stupid vampire craze that has disturbingly swept the nation. However, when I had seen the previews for this film earlier this year, the concept of this blood-sucker film was so unique, that I couldn't help but be intrigued. The premise here is that the majority of the population has become vampires and they're quickly running out of human blood to keep themselves alive. Some are hunting down the remaining humans, while Ethan Hawke joins up with Willem Dafoe to try and find a cure. The film presents a lot of clever allegories for real-life issues; dependency on oil, immigration, scientific ethics, and military power just to name a few. I found all of them to be very thought provoking and made it seem that this film would be something special. Unfortunately the second half of the film devolves into a gore-fest instead of following through on its themes. It's a shame the film decided to take that route. It cheapens the film for those, like me, who wanted something provoking and the violence comes too late in the film to appease the people that wants to see an all-out blood fest throughout. Still I think it has enough to make it worthy of a rental. While it does not completely suck, I wish it would have had a little bit more bit. Grade: B

No comments: