Tuesday, June 15, 2010

NMR: A Serious Man

Boy did I struggle with this one. In recent years I've gained an appreciate for the Coen brothers' films after enjoying both Burn After Reading and No Country For Old Men. However, this one was a different case. A lot of the same themes (dark humor, the random nature of life, idiotic people) all remain here and the film is expertly made, its subject matter was just too narrow for me to appreciate it. Centered around a Jewish man and the struggles he endures in both his personal and professional life, I just found myself unable to relate to the character or the context. If, however, you can relate to their culture and you have an appreciation for the Coens' work, then you'll probably really enjoy this. This is a total skip for everyone else though. Rating: **

No comments: