Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Some quick TV thoughts

Heroes - I was pleasantly surprised to see that the new chapter didn't suck. Small praise, but the show really lowered the bar for themseleves with the narrative nightmare they created in the first half of this season. Yes, the rounding up of people with powers isn't new, but at least they've given themselves a more focused storyline that has proven to work in the past. Now all they've got to do is kill off one of the original characters (and make it last!) in order to give this show some significance again. Until they do, they'll just be spinning their wheels into obliviion.

24 - I've really enjoyed this season. They've made some changes to adapt to our changing real world and they've seemed to work without feeling forced. I like the rogue CTU squad, but I worry about Tony's true intentions. Anything involving the new female president is a major snoozefest, but for the most part it's been kept to a minimum. The new female FBI agent has been a great addition and aint too bad looking either. I can't wait for the eventual Chloe vs. Janis showdown. And of course, Jack is still Jack, which is always a good thing.

CSI - Just want to comment on how sad, yet wondefully done Grissom's exit episode was. Yes, I know he'll probably be back in some capicity down the line, but it's still sad to see him go. However, I've really like the addition of Laurence Fishburne. In just a few episodes he provides the show with more gravitas than CSI Miami could ever have with David Caruso. Seeing these episodes now though it seems like losing Warrick and Sara has had a more negative effect on the show. There just aren't as many different pairings with the staff, which makes things boring. They need to go ahead and promote lab rat Wendy already. And speaking of the lab rats, I can't believe I actually enjoy Hodges now. The writers have done a nice job of making his appearances something that adds to the show rather than detracts.

Lost - Like the broken record in the opening episode, my head continues to be spinning trying to unpack everything that's being unloaded on us thus far this season. And in case you're unsure, I mean that as a compliment. Time travel can always be a tricky thing, but I think it's paid off thus far on this show and I think it's going to continue to provide us with a number of shockers (like Widmore being an Other!) and answers (now we know why Richard wanted young Locke to pick the compass). I love how Faraday has become such a main player this season. Frankly, I want every episode to remain on the island. Aside from Ben and Desmond, I'm not all that interested in anyone off the island right now. Still though, this has been a killer season so far and I can't wait each week for a new episode.

One other tidbit that I don't want to have to make a whole new post for...it was announced today that the CW is bringing Reaper back earlier than originally planned. The season 2 premiere will now air Tuesday March 3 at 8pm. Let the hell-raising being!

No comments: