Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall TV Report: Returning favorites (Monday)

How I Met Your Mother: I made no bones about it last season that I felt this show had lost its way. A lot of the sharp humor that defined the show was gone and the stories veered away from the creative and into a more pedestrian sitcom. Worst of all, the primary story of the show was by and large ignored. I figured the show would take a downward spiral from here, but that prediction may have been premature. I was pleasantly surprised with the opener. Both the actors and the writing seemed to have a renewed sense of energy about them. And from what I've read by the show's creators, they have made a pledge to be more on task this season and finally give its viewers some answers. For now, I'm back on board with the show and once again eager to see who the titular mother will end up being. Grade: B+

Chuck: A rather ho-hum start for a show that usually is full of fun and energy. One of the most notable things was the lack of the ancillary characters like Ellie/Awesome and Jeffster. There was just too much Chuck and Morgan, which I know is a key pair, but has never been my favorite. I much prefer Chuck's interactions with Sarah and Casey. I do like how the government has taken over the Buy More and that should provide a lot of interesting scenes and story points this season. I also think the introduction of Chuck's mom (Linda Hamilton) was fine, but time will tell how that storyline will play out. Lastly, I do want to credit the writers for throwing in so many wonderful pop culture references like Seinfeld's Vandalay Industries or having guest star Dolph Lundgren utter his famous phrase, "I must break you". Grade: B-

No comments: