Thursday, September 30, 2010

Fall TV Report: Returning Favorites (Thursday)

I know I'm a little behind, but I'll do my best to catch up over the next couple of days. Please note that my comments and grades are based solely on these shows' season premiere episodes.

Community: This show really tries hard, but can never seem to put the pieces together to make a truly awesome show. There are always elements in each episode that seem like they would be exceptionally funny and yet the execution is lacking. Having Betty White come in as a new instructor was a nice touch, but it really seemed like a wasted opportunity relegating her to potty humor and physical comedy. I stick with this show because it's clear they are working hard to make quality TV, but they just can't quite get it right. Grade: B-

30 Rock: Here we have the complete antithesis of Community. This show just breezes by on its formula and reliance on big name guest stars - all of which produces typically fun episodes, but are never memorable. Given the talent found on this show, it would be interesting to see if they really tried hard. Instead, they just seem happy to be on the air, so they continue to produce the status quo. Since the show is often funny, they can get away with it, but occasionally I would like to see them work outside of their comfort zone. Grade: B-

The Office: Knowing that this is Steve Carell's last season, this show easily could have phoned it in and they still would have generated good ratings. Thankfully that doesn't appear to be the case. They absolutely knocked it out of the park with this opener. While Michael was of course at the forefront of the episode's main story, the entire cast was well used and each got some decent screen time. I often scoff when I hear returning shows trying to plug their new season by claiming they have a renewed energy, but it appears these guys weren't lying. I have very high hopes now for this season after what I saw in that opener. Grade: A

The Big Bang Theory: Moving to Thursday nights doesn't seem to have phased this show at all. In fact, they've moved into a comfortable routine with their storytelling. Time will tell if that's a positive or not. If they are too reliant on some of their recurring jokes, it will wear out its welcome. If they find ways to keep things fresh, this show will likely shift from cult favorite to mainstream success (based on the first episode's ratings, I'd say it's well on its way to getting there). I like the idea of Mayim Bialik as Sheldon's not-girlfriend, but I wish they would have given her more to do in this episode. Then again, I love Penny so much that I didn't mind her presence on their 'date'. Nothing amazing here, but a typically good time. Grade: B

Fringe: People are sure missing the boat if they are not watching this show. It's a shame too many people write it off as sci-fi, because it's so much more than that. At its core, it's a family drama and a better one than most shows that bill themselves as family dramas. This show just has the ability to also seamlessly blend in the sci-fi stuff as well. It's an interesting storytelling device they are choosing to use this season by alternating between the two universes each episode. I fear I many not enjoy the alternate universe episodes (like the opener was) as much, just because there are so many more unlikeable/evil characters that dominate each episode; which is weird considering so many of them are the same actors that we've come to know and love in our universe. Despite the more depressing nature of the opener, they set the seeds in motion for another exciting season and I can't wait to see how it unfolds. Grade: A-

No comments: