Sunday, May 22, 2011

NMR: Tangled

Even though this isn't in my wheelhouse of films I typically watch, I'm, in general, a sucker for animated films, so I gave it a look. This modern telling of Rapunzel comes from Disney and their fingerprints are all over it. You have cute animal sidekicks. You have a princess. You have a female villain. You have big musical numbers. It's all there, yet its still missing some of its magic. For some reason, the Disney formula, which worked for so many years dating back to Snow White lost something once they transitioned to computer animation. None of it feels fresh anymore. Other studios like Pixar have surpassed them at being able to tell compelling stories with engaging characters. In many ways, Tangled feels like a used car that has a fresh coat of paint on it. My comments may seem a bit harsh and I certainly don't want them to sound that way. In many ways I was entertained by the film. The musical numbers are solid and there are a few decent characters. I just wish Disney could have been a bit more innovative. Younger children who have not seen a lot of the original Disney animated features will likely love this, but older audiences are better off just sticking with the originals. Rating: *** 1/2

No comments: