Sunday, June 5, 2011

Book review: Hell's Corner

Now that summer has arrived (I say that despite the fact that I still have yet another week before the school year is over for me) it's time to catch some rays and curl up with a good book. The first one I chose was a novel by David Baldacci that continues the adventures of the Camel Club. I believe I reviewed one of the Camel Club novels last summer, but if you're unfamiliar, the group is a ragtag bunch of guys, led by 'Oliver Stone' a former sniper for the U.S. government, who often find themselves wrapped up in conspiracies and political espionage. I was not particularly fond of the previous entry in this series called Divine Justice. That book I felt was too obvious in its plotting. I was able to call every twist and villain before they were actually revealed. It also took the characters away from Washington D.C., which I didn't care for either. Thankfully, most of those problems are eliminated in Hell's Corner. The plot is stuffed with plenty of misdirection to keep the reader guessing. This time around as the gang try to investigate a mysterious bombing that occurred in a park near the White House. As I read it, I felt like it could have easily been a season-long storyline for 24, which in my opinion is a good thing. I will say that the conclusion did suffer at times from a lack of plausibility and leaves some questions unanswered. I'm willing to dismiss those problems though as I found myself quickly turning the pages as it came to its conclusion. Certainly I wouldn't recommend you reading this book without reading the prior ones in the series, but if you're looking for something to read, I definitely encourage to start at the beginning and give this series a try. Grade: B+

No comments: