Saturday, April 28, 2012

RBR: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I actually saw this film several weeks ago but held off doing my review because I had hoped to watch it again before writing my critique of it. Now I'm not sure when or if I'll see it again, so before it completely evaporates from my memory, I figured I better take care of it now. This is one of those dense films that rewards patient moviegoers who enjoy paying close attention to what they are watching. Based off of a John LeCarre novel, the film focuses on an ex-British spy named George Smiley (Gary Oldman) who's tasked with trying to find a mole. Set during the Cold War, paranoia runs high as anyone and everyone is a likely suspect. From a narrative perspective, this is not an easy film to follow. It plays loose with its timeline and it takes you a long trying to figure out who each character is. Those who aren't willing to put in the effort will likely get frustrated with this film quickly. But if you stick with it, you'll be rewarded with several good performances by the cast. The film also creates an effective moody tone that enables a lot of the scenes to crackle with tension and thrills. Still the inaccessible nature of the film makes it tough for me to completely love the film. If you want a challenge, I would recommend you give this film a try, but this is not a movie for everyone. Right now I feel that this film falls just short of my top ten list, although I may be open to reconsideration if I get a chance to rewatch it again at some point. Rating: ****

No comments: