Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tribe Watch (Week 1)

Record: 4 - 4

Standing: 3rd in the AL Central

I didn't do a Tribe Watch post last Sunday for a couple of reasons...I was busy prepping for my dissertation defense and they were only 3 games into the season, so there wasn't much to discuss yet. Now 8 games into the season we can begin to pick apart this team's performance and the end result is a mixed bag which is indicative in their .500 record. The first four games things looked pretty bad. We begun the season with two long extra inning games that ended in defeat. No matter how good of a team you are, those type of games will sting. After picking up our first win last Sunday, we continued to look flat in our two losses against the nasty Chicago White Sox. I thought the loss of guys like Ozzie Guillen and Mark Buerhle would soften my stance against them, but it hasn't. I still hate that team with a passion. In those first two series our pitching was pretty good, especially the starters, but our offense looked completely anemic. It really made me think we were in for a long season. That turned around though this weekend with our visit to Kansas City. The Indians' offense exploded and put up the most runs in a three game series since 2000! Seeing the Tribe hit like they did against the Royals has buoyed my spirits some, but I'm going to need to see a larger sample size before I'm convinced. The Tribe will get that opportunity to see if the offense can stay red hot starting on Tuesday. After an off day tomorrow, the Indians will begin a six game West Coast trip that will see us play the Mariners and then Oakland. Both of those teams are playing around .500 ball as well, so these should be competitive matchups. When it comes to baseball, the phrase 'hope springs eternal' is certainly true. It's exciting time for baseball fans and my hope remains high for now as I continue to root on my Indians and see if this year can finally be their year.

No comments: