Sunday, May 17, 2009

NMR: War is hellarious

Got a couple of films from the bizarre genre of war comedies...

Hot Shots: Part Deux: I saw the original on Netflix a few weeks ago, so I figured I'd catch the sequel as well. Some of the humor holds up very well in this one. It was also nice to see the two main leads return and also mock this idea. A lot of the Gulf War humor though feels extremely dated. Still, for a parody sequel this is one of the better efforts out there. Rating: ***

Dr. Strangelove: I know, I know. I should have seen this classic a long time ago, so sue me. This is one of those teflon films that is immune to criticism. Some people don't get why this is funny and I can understand that. I'll admit that there were some things that I didn't get. I also think that some of the material in this film is dated. However, there are moments of sheer brillance in this film, particularly any of the war room scenes. I'm also a fan of any film that makes use of 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home' in its score. Peter Sellers gets the most adulation for his three character performance in this film, but personally, I thought George C. Scott was fantastic in his role. If you're the one person amongst your friends who hasn't seen this film, watch it because it's a great film for prompting discussion and analysis. Rating: ****

No comments: