Wednesday, June 10, 2009

NMR: DeNiro double feature

Backdraft: DeNiro has a relatively small role in this firefighting film starring Kurt Russell and William Baldwin. I actually would have liked his role increased as I found his arson investigator character to be interesting. I'm surprised no one has tried to spin off CSI with a show about arson investigators. And if one shows up next year, I'm going to sue! Anyways, this film isn't perfect; I didn't care for the film's climax where the arsonist is revealed. However, Ron Howard does an amazing jobs creating some of the most realistic film fires ever. This movie is nearly twenty years old and I haven't seen anything that comes close to what he did here. It's a decent enough summer action flick to keep you entertained if you've never seen it before. Rating: ****

The Score: DeNiro's role here is much larger as he plays an aging thief who wants to retire but first must do one last big job. And if this sounds awfully familiar to you, then you're not alone. Nothing about this movie is very original. This is pretty much a second rate script that seems a lot better thanks to its all star cast. Aside from DeNiro, the film stars Edward Norton and Marlon Brando; kind of a past, present, future deal there. Despite their good performances, I struggled to remain invested in the movie since I knew how everything was going to play out. If you've never seen a heist movie before, you'll probably love this. Fans of the genre, however, may get bored by the same old song and dance displayed here. Rating: ***

No comments: