Thursday, June 11, 2009

NMR: Marley & Me

I haven't seen anything else recently that could be paired up with this, so I guess this will get the solo treatment.

After a ridiculously long wait to receive this, I'm almost wishing I had never even put it in my queue in the first place. This was insufferable to sit through. It was like being forced to watch someone else's home movies. Nothing that happens matters to anyone but the people that it's happening to. There is just endless montages of Marley destroying stuff that serve no purpose. I didn't need thirty reminders that this was a disobedient dog. And I'm sorry, but there is no way that dog would continue to be a menace for that log. Either those people would have gotten rid of it or they would have done something to better train him. Also not believeable was Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston as regular people. They are way too pretty and Hollywood to play these people. For a look at the real John Grogan, visit here. The end result here is manufactured sentimentality. Various points from this couple's life are chosen to manipulate the audience's emotions without providing any cohesion behind them. By the end of the film, I couldn't care less about the obvious conclusion. There was only one bright spot in this movie; Alan Arkin as the newspaper editior. I found the newspaper stuff to be interesting and his character provided the only funny moments in the film. The rest is just junk. Rating: **

No comments: