Wednesday, February 10, 2010

NMR: The Hurt Locker

I typically don't go for the war films, but considering this is the movie that everyone seems to think has the best chance of beating Avatar at this year's Oscars, I figured I would see what all the hubbub was about.

The film centers primarily around a group of U.S. soldiers in Iraq who are responsible for finding bombs and disarming them. Naturally, this provides the film with several tense moments. And a lot of credit goes to Kathryn Bigelow for creating a wonderful sense of anxiety in these moments. She gives each scene a sense of realism without overdoing it on the melodrama. I would have absolutely no problem with her winning for Best Director (which would be unique because a) a woman has never won that award before and b) her ex-husband is James Cameron).

Another refreshing aspect of this film is that it takes a very apolitical stance. This isn't some conservative propaganda film nor is it filled with a bunch of liberal sermonizing. It's an honest look at the tremendous dangers that our soldiers still face while fighting overseas. For that reason, I enjoyed this film a lot better than some of the other recent movies that have dealt with this subject.

However, I cannot completely endorse this film for the simple fact that the environment that this film takes place in is so foreign and unengaging to me. I cannot understand why anyone would put themselves at risk like that, nor can I fathom why anyone would prefer living like that than at home with a family, which we see in the lead character, William James (played by Jeremy Renner). I felt uncomfortable and sad throughout most of the film.

I applaud the craftsmanship of the film, but I can safely say that I'll never watch it again. If you're enjoy checking out each year's Best Picture contenders, then I would certainly suggest you seek this one out. However, if you typically don't care for films about the Iraq War, then I doubt you'll want to see this one either. Grade: B

No comments: