Wednesday, February 2, 2011

NMR: Buried

If you're not familiar with this film, I'm not surprised. Despite a unique premise and a known star in the lead, this film about a man (Ryan Reynolds) discovering he's been buried alive barely got a theatrical release last year. Now on video, I've gotten a chance to see it and while I think it deserved a wider release, I can understand the studio's trepidation about the film's mainstream appeal. Be forewarned that the entire film takes place inside the coffin. Those who are claustrophobic will probably become anxious within the first 10 minutes of the film. Even I was starting to feel uneasy as the film went on. Credit to the director for being inventive enough to find ways of filming this cramped quarter and not have it be boring. I don't think I would ever watch this film again, but I'm glad I initially sought it out. This isn't for everyone, but if the premise intriques you at all, I would suggest you give it a look. Rating: *** 1/2

No comments: