Friday, February 18, 2011

NMR: Paranormal Activity 2

While still not a big horror fan in general, I found myself enjoying this one for what it was. I think it's a moderate improvement over the original, although some of that could be that I didn't watch this one on a weekday morning like the original, thus adding a more scary tone to the viewing experience. What also helped this one was an improved cast. While they weren't tremendous actors, they were much more likeable than the couple in the first, so I was more invested in their fate. One thing that I did find odd about the story is that it seems this family doesn't really take proper precautions despite mounting evidence that there is a ghost in their house. They get scared whenever anything freaky happens, but then the following day they go back to business as usual. That took me out of the realism of the film that they try to portray with their security camera style footage. Still, if you want some easy thrills without the vulgar gore that's found in films like the Saw franchise, this is worth a rental. Rating: ***

No comments: