Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tribe Watch (Week 18)

Record: 56 - 56

Standing: Second in AL Central

So what to make out of a week that saw us go 3-4 against the AL East and West divisional leaders? Well you could be positive and say that we were competitive in both series and saw our offense show some signs of improvement. There will naturally be those who take a more pessimistic perspective and say that we could have and should have won more considering each of the four losses came in the final at-bat for the other team. It was disappointing to say the least to see our bullpen, which had been very strong to this point, give away victories. I think the thing that we need to take away from this series is that it didn't appear as if this team is playing like it's in a pennant race. I wanted to see both more passion and more consideration in the moves and play calling. I believe this team has the talent to win the division, but they're going to have to show they want it. They will get the biggest chance to prove that this week as there is a season-defining series against the Detroit Tigers beginning tonight. If we sweep the series, it puts us right back in the thick of things. If we win 1 or 2, that just puts more pressure on us to make sure we sweep Minnesota who comes in to play us this weekend. If we get swept, I'd hate to say it, but I think we can write off this team's chances at winning the division. I hope that this team is up to the challenge and I also hope that the city of Cleveland comes out to support this team and show them that we want October baseball. I can't be up in Cleveland, but you know I'll be rooting for them just as hard from the comfort of my own home this week. Go Tribe!

No comments: