Monday, March 19, 2012

RBR: Hugo

Throughout this most recent movie awards season, I struggled to muster up the same excitement I typically have during that time of the year. On paper, this year's crop of award winners just did not appeal to me in the same way that most years' critical darlings do. Hugo, directed by Martin Scorcese, is a perfect example of that. This is the story of an orphaned boy living in a Paris train station in 1930. Before his father passed away, Hugo had been working with him on rebuilding a automaton. Now alone, he's made it his quest to put it back together and unlock its secrets. Along the way he befriends a young girl (Chloe Grace Moritz) and a toy shop owner (Ben Kingsley), who may have some connections to the boy's project. Some of the mystery behind this robot had been spoiled for me, so I ended up not being as invested as I may have been in seeing Hugo get the answers. Without spoiling too much, there is a connection between this robot and early filmmaking. In one of the few really great sequences in the film, we see a montage of how early films were made. In this sequence, you really gain a sense of the creativity and inventiveness those men had to be able to put together their films. While many films today seemed to be made so effortlessly thanks to computers and visual effects, those men used their intuitiveness to convey what they wanted to on the screen. Scorcese remains one of the few guys who still can accomplish that and his direction here proves that. I just wish the story itself had been more engaging. As technically sound as this movie is, I just don't see many people falling in love with it in the same way they have done with other classic children/family films. Ultimately, this movie didn't do enough to make me love it, but it certainly reaffirmed why I love movies in general. Rating: *** 1/2

No comments: