Sunday, March 18, 2012

RBR: Jack & Jill

I have often found myself to be an Adam Sandler apologist when it comes to his films. While many of these get lambasted by critics for being crass, stupid, or just poorly made, I will still watch them and find some value in them. I certainly don't feel he makes masterpieces, but I can usually rely on them for providing me with a few solid laughs. But I found while watching his latest film, Jack and Jill that there are limits to the degree I will go to defend the "Sand-man". I watched this film in horror wondering how anyone could have thought this film was good and/or funny. Simply put, putting Adam Sandler in drag to play his twin sister was a bad idea no matter how you look at it. The character is loud, obnoxious, and fails to yield any sympathy no matter how much the film tries to portray her as a victim. Perhaps even more baffling than the idea that it would be funny to have Sandler play a woman is how this film managed to get a great actor like Al Pacino to not only be in the film, but to play a version of himself who is drawn to Jill because she reminds him of his New York roots. The rest of the cast (including Katie Holmes as Sandler's wife) is an underdeveloped group of characters merely there to stand on the side as observers and tell us how wacky and funny Jack and Jill are. They're not convincing and neither is the film. I simply couldn't wait for this one to be over. If I had to point out one positive aspect of the film, its that I was impressed with how seemless the scenes are involving two version of Sandler in the same shot. Often when TV shows or movies try to have scenes involving one actor play two roles, it comes off phony or cheesy looking, but the scenes in this film really made it look like there were two different people in the same shot. Still, this is no reason to give this movie a watch. A strong recommendation to avoid this one. Rating: *

No comments: