Monday, June 11, 2007

Knocked it out of the ballpark

Finally got to see Knocked Up tonight and Judd Apatow once again delivers a gem. I'll put this a notch below 40 Year Old Virgin, but really, nothing could ever top that film. Then again, my appreciation for that film grew with each successive viewing and I have a feeling that this one will as well.

Apatow once again is able to masterfully blend crude, vulgar humor with a really sweet story. Nothing ever seems Hollywood or fake about his films. Despite the oddball pairing of the schlubby Seth Rogan and the beautiful Katherine Heigl, the film makes you believe that they can work as a couple.

Part of the fun of these films is playing Where's Waldo with all of the great cameos. Some are well known people like Ryan Seacrest, James Franco, and a certain Virgin, himself (that was awesome). Some are Apatow's Freeks and Geeks alums. There's also a couple of Office workers (Ryan and Darryl). But there's also a wonderful assortment of minor comic actors that I recognize (Mo Collins, Loudon Wainwright, Kristin Wiig, Alan Tudyk, Harold Ramis, Bill Hader...the list is endless) that may not be well known, but just add so much more to the film.

I also need to say how awesome Paul Rudd is again. I was worried initially because he didn't have much screen time early on. But as his and Seth's characters become friends, we get to see the Rudd hilarity that I've come to expect. Their scenes in Vegas are just stellar. I won't say what happens, just trust me, it's great.

My only small complaint about the film is that it isn't quite as relatable to me as Virgin was, just because I'm not at that time in my life yet where I'm having kids. I'm sure when I do get there, this film will become even more real to me.

Actually I have one other complaint - the theater audience. Now I know this isn't a knock against the film, but it needs to be said anyways. I was seated with a bunch of morons. The biggest laughs generally were the scenes that had been shown ad nauseum in the previews (and trust me, those scenes aren't the funniest of the film). Are these people a bunch of sheep that only know when to laugh when they recognize something that they've already seen? I also couldn't stand the women in the audience who felt the need to make their own commentary on that actions in the film. You going "awwwww" at the sight of the baby isn't necessary. We all know it's cute, so shut your traps.

OK, now that I got that off my chest, I can go back to saying that this is a fantastic movie. If you loved Virgin, you'll enjoy this one as well. This is a great movie that all demographics should enjoy.

Grade: A

No comments: