Monday, October 22, 2007

And now begins the long winter wait

***Before I begin the post, I just want to say that this is about the 5th post I've made today, so make sure you keep reading all the way down to read everything new that's going on with me.***

So last night the choke job by my Cleveland Indians was completed as the 'Sawks' pounded on us once again. I'm not sure if it makes me happier or more depressed that the Tribe kept the game close until about the 7th inning when things just fell apart. It would be easy to pinpoint our failure to go to the World Series on one individual, but really it was collective effort. There were multiple people who just couldn't deliver when the team relied on them.

Now as the off season begins, it'll be interesting to see where this team goes. On one hand, you could say that making it as far as we did would indicate we're just a tweak or two away from getting to the World Series. But given that we had many people underperform in these last few games makes you wonder if they should remain an integral part of the team. In general, I'm trying to stay as optimistic as possible. I truely believe that we have a solid nucleus of talent that we can continue to build around. And as disappointed as I am in us losing, I can't deny that the Tribe gave me and the rest of the city a lot of wonderful memories this season.

Still it's tough to watch Cleveland come so close to winning a championship again only to come up a little short. If you feel our pain, you're more than welcome to send sympathy cards and letters and/or donations to the "Wait 'Til Next Year" fund, in care of Adam Gutschmidt. Any submissions are appreciated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was hard to endure. I have to agree a lot of players hit a slump, the collective slump being the killer in the series. Strange how is was Manny quoted as saying it wouldn't be a big deal to lose, followed by no fervor and a loss for the Tribe. All in all, there's no excuse for what happened that will satisfy me.