Monday, October 22, 2007

A fair to remember

The state fair was in town this week and I was able to go over the weekend with some of my friends and attend the festivities. This was my second time there since moving to NC and once again it was quite the cultural experience.

Now I've been to the city carnival many times when I was young and this is basically the same thing, only on a much grander scale. I still find it funny how there are so many people who attend the fair as if it was some big deal. You see the trailer park trash all dressed up as if this was the prom or something. Personally I wanted to burn my clothes after going there after being around all the farm animals and the litter that is strewn throughout the midway.

The day I went, the place was absolutely packed. That might have had to do something with the fact that Daughtry was performing there that day, but from what my friends tell me, it's always that full.

But the highlight for me every year is to see what new heart attack inducing foods they are selling each year. Beyond your typical elephant ears and corn dogs, the NC State Fair food vendors provide people with just about everything in a deep-fried format. Some of the traditional favorites are deep-fried Oreos, Twinkies, and cheeseburgers. Last year, they introduced deep fried Coke. And this year, they added deep fried Reese's peanut butter cups and deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Personally, I tried to stay as healthy as possible and only bought the fried apples.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once saw a cow made out of butter at a fair in Iowa, as well as several rounds of heated cow-chipping. The latter, of course, consists of a group of excited individuals competing for who can throw a cow patty (sp?) the farthest, a cow patty being a frisbee-like chunk of cow crap.

In terms of frying things, I'm waiting for the deep fried rice crispie. Mmm, Mmm, good.