Friday, October 12, 2007

Oh Brother

I'll keep this short and sweet. I saw The Brothers Solomon yesterday and it was terrible. I was already skeptical about seeing it based on previews, but because it had a lot of comedic actors that I love, I decided to check it out. Sadly, all of that comedic talent is wasted in this picture. This is basically a stale rehash of all the other idiot comedies that came before it (i.e. Dumb and Dumber) The film's jokes and viewpoints on such issues as race, parenting, romance, and family relationships give us nothing new. There are also a couple of subplots that never properly get paid off over the course of the film. The whole thing was just a waste of my time. There was one funny scene, so I'll explain it here and that way you'll have as much enjoyment as I did with the film, minus the 90 minutes of torture.

As the two brothers (Will Arnett and Will Forte) prepare to become dads, one of the things they try to learn to do is change a diaper. Using a baby doll, the one brother keeps loading up the diaper with pleasant things so that the other brother can be trained into thinking it's pleasant opening up a diaper. Some of the diaper contents included a pile of quarters and chicken nuggets with honey mustard sauce. On the last attempt the brother finds popcorn, but amongst the popcorn is a dead bird. That was put in there to give the brother a harsh dose of reality. That was the only mildly amusing part of the film. If you didn't even laugh at that, then you know just how bad this film was. Grade: D

No comments: