Wednesday, January 16, 2008

NMR: Super Size Me

This was a completely engrossing (emphasis on gross, at times) look at the obesity problem in America. This is an issue that has been and continues to be ignored by too many people. Director and star Morgan Spurlock sums it up nicely when one of the people he interviews says that it's come to be acceptable to say to a smoker, "Hey put out that cigarette, you're going to kill yourself", so when will it become acceptable to say, "Hey put down that french fry, you're going to kill yourself". As I watched Spurlock put himself through a 30-day McDiet, there were several times where I felt so sad for the guy and just wanted him to stop eating, and this is coming from someone who enjoys McDonalds.

I had some minor complaints with the film, namely with Spurlock's filmmaking skills. First, he needed to narrate more throughout the film. There were a couple of times where he was travelling to cities for untold reasons. There was also scenes that he filmed Jared from Subway giving a speech to kids, but then he doesn't actually speak to Jared himself. And the people he did speak too sounded like some of the most ignorant rubes found in this country. It would have been nice to get some balance from the ordinary people he talked to on the streets.

These are minor issues and shouldn't take away from the film's core message. And I should point out that he does have some nice touches to his filmmaking style. I really liked the pop art paintings involving McDonalds characters that he used to introduce each "chapter" of the film. And anyone who uses "Rock and Roll McDonalds" by Wesley Willis in their film instantly wins my admiration.

I can't guarantee I'll permanently change my diet after seeing this, but everytime I consider heading to the Golden Arches, I'll definitely be thinking of this film. Netflix rating: *****

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was good, but I wondered if maybe it was too funny at times to be taken seriously. The counter-argument, of course, is that perhaps something wouldn't be influential if it was too serious (An Inconvenient Truth).

I did catch some of his Television show 30 Days on FX. It was also a bit sad. His documentaries often make me feel helpless.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen mention of any new 30 Days episodes. I wonder if it got pulled.