Monday, June 30, 2008

NMR: The Grand

This will be the last Netflix review for the foreseeable future. With my subscription coming to an end, I put a hold on my account until September when paychecks will start rolling in again. But have no fear, once I get back to Raleigh I'll resume the Bond countdown and also have plenty of summer movies to review.

If you're not familiar with this film, it is a mockumentary about a poker tournament that came out earlier this year to little fanfare. It does boast a solid cast that includes Woody Harrelson, David Cross, Ray Romano, Jason Alexander, Chris Parnell, and Cheryl Hines. The cast seems game and their love of poker is evident, but the movie never really comes together to be decent. Too much of the film is spent establishing the characters and all it does is turn them all into one dimensional people. There are a smattering of laughs found throughout, but not enough to justify a recommendation from me. The film fails to produce enough laughs for comedy fans and doesn't contain enough poker to appease poker fans. I've certainly seen worse movies, but this is a pretty weak entry in the mockumentary genre. Netflix rating: **

No comments: