Saturday, June 14, 2008

NMR: The King of California

Between the fact that my Netflix subscription is almost up and because I'm heading back up to Cleveland next week, I'm not sure when I'll see my next Netflix movie, so I'll just do a quick review for this one one.

This was a nice, sweet story about a father and daughter. Michael Douglas plays the dad who's just been released from a mental hospital and Evan Rachel Wood plays the responsible daughter. Douglas' character believes there is gold buried underneath a Costco and the daughter reluctantly plays along. It has some humorous moments, as well as some touching scenes. It's not groundbreaking or truly remarkable, but it's just an enjoyable movie. The boasts in the trailer that Douglas gives an award-worthy performance were a bit over the top, but it does look like he's having fun with this crazy character. Given the film's subject, there's probably no better weekend than this one to check it out. Overall though, I wouldn't say it's a must-see, but if you do stumble upon it, you'll probably enjoy it. Netflix rating: ****

No comments: