Friday, June 13, 2008

TV casting news

We're still months away from the new TV season beginning, but we're already getting word on some interesting casting news from a few of my favorite shows. For more info on each casting story, click on the name of the show.

24: Jon Voigt (the actor, not the periodontist) has signed on to play the villain next season. Certainly Voigt has done his fair share of villainy on film and TV before and sounds like he'll be an excellent addition. The only thing that confuses me is the fact that it seemed like we already knew who the main villain would be. So either they've changed the storyline or one of the villains is a red herring. Unfortunately we still have to wait until Jan. 09 to find out.

Heroes: Apparently they've hired another Veronica Mars alum (Francis Capra who played Ron/Weevil) to be one of the many villains for next season. I never saw VM, so I can't really comment on the quality of this hire, but if it helps ensure that Kristen Bell sticks around, I can support that.

The Office Spinoff: We still don't have a premise for the show, but the spinoff to The Office has made it's first official hire and it's Human Giant's Aziz Ansari. In my limited viewing of his work, I've found him to be very funny, so I definitely see this as a good pick. On a side note, Ansari will also be appearing on Scrubs next season.

As I said, no official premise for the show has been announced. However, reports now say that it probably won't be an original cast member leaving to lead the new show, but rather a new character will be introduced on the regular show at the beginning of next season and then they will become the main character for the spinoff. If anything new is announced about it, I'll be sure to post about it here.

No comments: