Wednesday, April 22, 2009

NMR: Being John Malkovich

After enjoying Malkovich in a couple of recent films, I decided to go back and check out this trippy film from 1999 directed by Spike Jonze and written by Charlie Kaufmann. This film still seems ahead of it's time and it's now ten years old. All of the acting is decent, but I particularly enjoyed Catherine Keener's work. Cameron Diaz, who's practically unrecognizable here, turns in a nice, understated performance. It's a shame she hasn't taken on more roles like this recently. I found the film's dark subject matter to be a bit disturbing at times. However, this is a dense, layered film that really explores a lot of interesting topics and makes you think, which I always appreciate. It's also very funny at times, particularly Malkovich himself who wasn't afraid to poke fun at his image. If you're looking for a more complex film, I'd recommend this one to you. Rating: ****

No comments: