Tuesday, April 7, 2009

NMR: Crimetime live

A pair of crime movies to review today based on my recent Netflix viewing...

Entrapment: This was a fun, albeit forgettable heist thriller starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and Sean Connery. It's nice see Connery still trying here (I still believe that was a robot that looked like Sean Connery in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and he has a lot of fun as the aging thief. The film has a lot of twists and turns, but a lot of it already feels dated; particularly the Y2K subplot. I didn't quite get the film's end due to some scratches on the disc preventing me from seeing everything, but I got the gist of it. A fun diversion, but nothing more. Rating: ***

Once Upon a Crime: A 1992 mystery comedy starring John Candy and directed by Eugene Levy. Given those two names, I thought this would be fun, but I was wrong. Like the far superior Clue, this is about several characters being possible suspects in a murder. Unlike Clue, all of the characters here are shrill and unlikeable. You end up wishing they all were the killer so they could all be locked up for good. Candy does his best to milk some laughs out of this dud, but it's not enough. Rating: **

No comments: