Saturday, October 31, 2009

NMR: Guess the connection

We'll make a little game out of this, see if you can find the common thread between these three films:

Pleasantville: I can't tell you how many times I've seen parts of this film, but this was my first opportunity to watch it all the way through. I felt that the movie is certainly flawed - it plays fast and loose with its rules and leaves a lot unexplained. However, the premise is really interesting and its filled with a lot of good performances from the likes of William H. Macy, Joan Allen, Tobey Maguire, and Reese Witherspoon. Thematically, the film is very rich and has actually given me a couple of ideas to use for possible future academic papers (that is if I ever get this dissertation finished). Rating: ***

The Negotiator: This could have been a standard cop thriller but the film rises above its material thanks to the scenes involving the two leads - Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey. I liked the chess match that these two negotiators engage in as they try out-talk the other. It kind of makes me sad that Kevin Spacey doesn't do more mainstream films because he's so good, even when the material he's working with isn't. Rating: ****

Executive Decision: The movie is not without its stupid moments, logic gaps, and eye rolling stunts. Despite all that, I found myself fully engaged in this. They did just enough to consistently keep me entertained. They always kept the tension high and made the most out of its cramped setting. Kurt Russell is always a likeable actor and he's good here again. If you just shut your mind off, this is an entertaining thriller. Rating: ****

No comments: