Thursday, October 22, 2009

NMR: Land of the Lost

I honestly didn't feel like this looked any good when I had seen the trailers/commercials earlier this year, but I still decided to give it a rental. That ended up being a bad move as my instincts were right and this was pretty terrible. Just a hodge-podge of unfunny material and unengaging visual effects. This movie suffers from some major tonal problems. It can't tell if it wants to be a crass comedy or a family film. It can't tell if it wants it's visual effects to look cheesy as an homage to the original TV show or really impressive and eye-catching (Given the trend this year, I have no idea why they didn't offer this film in 3D). Will Ferrell is talented enough to milk a few laughs out of me, but most of the film falls flat. Compounding the problem is that I didn't care for Danny McBride or Anna Friel and since it's primarily the three of them for the entire movie, it made for an unpleasant experience. There is a quote in the film where Will Ferrell says they have traveled to a world where past, present and future meet. Well this is a film where unfunny, stupidity, and ugliness meet. Rating: **

No comments: