Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Indians punch me in the gut again

In an all-too-disturbing trend, the Indians' offensive futility continues as they lose the first game of a crucial two-game series against the Tigers. Things seemed like they were going to turnaround with Grady's first inning home run, but that would be all the offense we would see tonight. Once again, a wonderful pitching performance gets wasted by our lack of hitting.

There's no doubt that a lot of the blame is placed on the players, who just aren't hitting. But when the team is in a slump like this and needs some kind of spark, I place a lot of fault on Eric Wedge, who's decision making continues to befuddle me. This guy is so robotic and by-the-books that he can't realize the error of his ways. Cabrera should have pinch hit for Peralta to advance Gomez over to third in the 9th and then there should have been no way that Borowski comes in in a non-save situation. These moves seem so obvious, yet Wedge continues to blow it.

I'm so angry right now with this team. I was lucky enough to score tickets for tomorrow night's game, so they better not disappoint me. Watching this on TV is bad enough, I don't know how I'll be able to handle it seeing it in person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You and I are both feeling the pinch of disappointment with out favorite teams. The last Braves game I watched, the starting pitcher kicked butt for six innings. The bullpen came in and gave up enough runs to erase the lead and cost the game. I don't have an answer other than to say even a three and a half game deficit looks daunting at this point.