Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Simpsons on the big screen = A D'oh brainer

Being back up in Cleveland, I'm getting a chance to see some movies that are still in the first run theaters with family and friends. Today it was The Simpsons Movie. I've had an interesting relationship with the longest running animated show in history. When it first debuted, my parents forbid us from watching it, believing it was too racy for us. Then when I got older and began to watch it, I absolutely fell in love with it. There was a couple of years where I was all about everything Simpsons. Recently though, I've grown somewhat bored with the show. While it still has it moments, it's been difficult for them to seem fresh for the past few seasons. For this reason, I was cautiously optimistic about their jump to the big screen.

Now having seen it, I'm not sure how to feel. On one hand, the movie was more consistently funny than the show has been lately. By bringing in some of their old writers, they collectively were able to deliver a solid effort. However, there was nothing truly special about the film. Like many have said, it truly does play like a 90 minute version of the show.

The story is a solid one where they tackle timely issues of the environment and immigration. While only 90 minutes, the film does a good job of giving each of the primary four family members a storyline that was able to be developed and become integrated into the overall plot. Albert Brooks' role as the head of the EPA is very funny and a welcome addition. There are also a couple of decent cameos that I won't spoil for you here. On the disappointing side, though, a lot of of the beloved side characters don't get a lot of screen time. Burns and Skinner, in particular are pretty MIA.

I was also surprised by the adult actions seen by some of the characters. We get full frontal nudity from Bart, Homer giving the double bird, Otto smoking from a bong and Marge using God's name in vain. While they don't offend me, I do have two problems with it. Yes, the film is rated PG-13, but you know little kids will watch this film and they really shouldn't see that. Secondly, part of the show's appeal has been its ability to convey adult actions and jokes without actually doing them. It just seems lazy to have those things in there now.

That's also been a problem I've had with the show in general lately. Computer technology has allowed the show to illustrate things that previously weren't feasible. By expanding their universe, the Simpsons seem less intimate. You don't feel the same connection with them as you once did.

I feel like this review has been too negative, which I don't mean it to be. It's just easier to remember the bad things, than the positive ones. Overall, this is an enjoyable movie and anyone who has ever seen the show should do themselves a favor and go see this movie. Hopefully it's success will push the creators to consider ending the show and instead just producing solid efforts like this for the theaters every couple of years. Grade: B

No comments: