Friday, August 3, 2007

Once upon a time, they ran out of fairy tale puns

So yesterday, with no computer and my AC broken, I needed to get out of my apartment and do something. I decided to go check out Shrek the Third at the budget theater. Sadly, the most positive thing I can say is that I was cooled off for 90 minutes.

I'm not sure what happened here. While I wasn't the biggest fan of this franchise, I had enjoyed each of the first two films. The first one did a nice job of presenting an alternative take on classic fairy tale characters, while also creating some nice parodies of current pop culture concepts. The second film then took those qualities and amped them up to the next degree.

In this third film, it appeared that everyone involved was just looking to make a quick buck. All of the charm and humor found in the previous films were nonexistent this time around. And I wasn't alone in feeling this way. I sat with an audience of children who barely laughed either, except at some of the egregious physical comedy.

The premise for the film sounds decent on paper, but isn't really executed properly. Shrek looks for a new king for Far, Far Away while Charming tries to take over the throne himself. All of the plot points, however, are underdeveloped leaving the audience emotionally unattached as to the outcome of all this. We never really see what's so horrible about Far, Far Away with Charming in charge. We never learn why Arthur is such an outcast and thus don't care whether he becomes king or not. We don't get a good sense of why Shrek fears being king or a father when it seems that everyone around him has no problem with him taking on these roles.

All of the side characters are back once again, but bring nothing fresh to them. Gingy, in particular, who was such a delight in the first film, comes off especially grating here. The film also introduces a slew of new characters, but none of them get enough time to develop any sort of personality.

The only moments where the film shows any energy is in their use of familiar songs. The funeral scene involving "Live and Let Die" and the battle scene which involved a Zepplin song are the best parts. But then I felt like I only enjoyed them because I recognized the songs, not because it was particularly creative on the director's part.

Clearly this film made oodles of money, but this film is nowhere near the caliber of the previous two. Because of its financial success, I'm sure we'll be seeing more from these characters in some capacity. But if it was up to me, I think it's time that we say "The End" to Shrek and co. Grade: C

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Though I haven't seen it, I still have a hard time believing the ogre voiced by Diaz would actually have that kind of voice, but then again, there are no such things as ogres, and then again, I don't like Diaz or her raunchy cohorts of other films. Apparently money can't fix bad taste.