Friday, August 21, 2009

Fall Movie Preview (3-1)

You'll notice that there was no #4 movie previewed. That's because that slot was being reserved for Shutter Island, the new Scorcese/DiCaprio film that I had mentioned in my Top 30 of '09 list earlier this year. Well wouldn't you know it, news comes today that they are pushing the film back to February. WTF! Fall is usually slim pickings when it comes to movies and one of the few that I was really looking forward to has now been shoved to the film wasteland known as February. Well with it out of the way, it just puts all the more pressure on these last three films to be even better.

3. Extract (September 4)
Plot: In "Extract," writer/director Mike Judge ("Beavis and Butt-Head," "King of the Hill") returns to the fertile territory of the American workplace, rotating his perspective away from the white collar cubicle warriors of "Office Space" and towards a blue collar boss – a small business owner – who employs an odd cast of losers, loners and misfits in his flavor extract factory.

Quick thoughts: This one really snuck up on me. I had never really been a fan of Mike Judge's work. However, this summer I found myself really appreciating King of the Hill reruns. Then I saw the trailer for this and found myself laughing quite a bit. It's got a real great cast and centering the film within the workplace should be perfect for Judge. Let's hope this delivers as well as I think it will.


2. Sherlock Holmes (December 25)
Plot: In a dynamic new portrayal of Arthur Conan Doyle's most famous characters, "Sherlock Holmes" sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

Quick thoughts: Robert Downey Jr.'s hot streak looks to continue here. The trailer for this makes it seem like there will be plenty of action to help with the mass appeal, but with it being a Sherlock movie, you know it should also be rooted in a good mystery, which I always appreciate it. It's a shame we have to wait so long still to see this, but I believe it will be worth the wait.


1. The Informant! (September 18)
Plot: Based on the book by Kurt Eichenwald. What was Mark Whitacre thinking? A rising star at agri-industry giant Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), Whitacre suddenly turns whistleblower. Even as he exposes his company's multi-national price-fixing conspiracy to the FBI, Whitacre envisions himself being hailed as a hero of the common man and handed a promotion. But before all that can happen, the FBI needs evidence, so Whitacre eagerly agrees to wear a wire and carry a hidden tape recorder in his briefcase, imagining himself as a kind of de facto secret agent. Unfortunately for the FBI, their lead witness hasn't been quite so forthcoming about helping himself to the corporate coffers. Whitacre's ever-changing account frustrates the agents and threatens the case against ADM as it becomes almost impossible to decipher what is real and what is the product of Whitacre's rambling imagination. Based on the true story of the highest-ranking corporate whistleblower in U.S. history.

Quick thoughts: I'm sure you're all tired of me talking about this movie, but I cannot wait for it. This just seems really quirky and interesting and right up my alley. Matt Damon has really turned into a great actor and I think this is the film that brings Steven Soderbergh back into favor with people after doing several small films that no one cared about. Seeing the trailer for the first time last month cinched it for me. I'll definitely be seeing this one and I hope all of you do as well.

No comments: