Saturday, August 15, 2009

NMR: Cult comedies

Quick note, this is actually the first time I have seen either of these movies.

Clerks: This certainly had its moments, but overall I wasn't wowed by it. Having said that, I can see why this was an iconic movie for its generation. Even though it's a movie about store clerks, which would seem like a universal plot, the film is very much rooted in the 90s. I think that had a lot to do with why I wasn't able to connect with it better. It's impressive what Kevin Smith was able to do on a shoestring budget, but I doubt I'll probably ever watch this one again. Rating: ***

The Big Lebowski: Similar to Clerks, I can see why this appealed to a certain population, but it just didn't do much for me. For this one, I kept wanting to like it more than I was. I really liked all of the characters as they were quirky and interesting and being played by guys giving good performances. Really it was the story here that didn't win me over. I felt let down by the resolution of the whole thing and found all the fantasy sequences to be detracting to the film. I'm sure if I was a stoner, I might have more fun watching this, but since I'm not, this too will be a one and done viewing for me. Rating: ***

No comments: