Thursday, August 20, 2009

NMR: Off the Depp end

After watching Johnny Depp in Public Enemies, I decided to catch a couple of his older films that I had never seen before.

Donnie Brasco: This felt like one of the most authentic mobster movies I have ever seen. You have great performances from both Depp and Al Pacino, although that's not that surprising. About the only flaw is that the film loses a bit of drama near the end given that you know the fate of Depp's character already given that the person his character is based on is still alive. However, that shouldn't really detract you from seeing this well made film if you haven't done so already. Rating: ****

From Hell: I don't know if I was just in the wrong mood when I saw this or what, but I did not care for it at all. Even though I find the Jack the Ripper case interesting, I did not buy anything about this story. While the person the film claims is the killer is complete fiction, I knew right away who it was going to be. I found the film to be filled with cliches. You also have a (typical) lousy performance from Heather Graham. As for Depp, while a fine performance, it's definitely not one of his better ones. Rating: **

No comments: