Saturday, March 27, 2010

The clock expires for 24

Looks like I've got to do yet another TV eulogy this week. News came down yesterday that this would be the final season of 24.

I certainly have mixed feelings on this. Running for eight seasons, the show had a good run. The past few seasons have seen some highs and lows, so to think that the show could continue at the level of quality that we came to expect from the first few seasons is a bit of stretch. Certainly, the structure of the show prevented it from naturally evolving. As cool as the real time gimmick was, it was also a burden that forced the show to become repetitive over time.

Now the question turns to how the show will end. They still have the remainder of this season, plus at least one feature film in the works. I think I and most fans will want to see a happy ending for Jack Bauer. To put him through all the hell that they have these seasons, it would be cruel to kill him off, no matter how more realistic that ending would be. I look forward to seeing it play out and I'm thankful for the entertainment Keifer and the rest of those wacky CTU agents and/or moles have provided me over the past years.

No comments: