Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wrestlemania XXVI predictions

So it's time once again for the biggest show of the year, the granddaddy of 'em all, Wrestlemania and this year I'm pretty darn excited. Not just because I'll actually get to watch it with a group of people this year, but because for the first time in quite a while, the WWE had done a really good job in building up most of the matches, giving the show that big-time feeling that it needs. Here's hoping the rest of you are just as excited and if not, perhaps my preview of tonight's show will convince you.

Career vs. Streak: Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker
Let it be known that I'll be rooting all the way for Shawn to win this one. I've long been a proponent for keeping the streak alive, but this year is different. I don't want Shawn to retire and let's face it, streaks are meant to be broken. The reality though is that in wrestling a retirement can be reversed, the streak cannot. For that reason, I feel the Dead Man will somehow pull out the victory.

WWE Championship Match: Batista (champ) vs. John Cena
This has actually been a well built feud. You know it's good when I want to see a John Cena match. Part of the strength of this feud is that they've actually made Cena look vulnerable, making you question the outcome. Wrestlemania is all about good prevailing over evil, though so I see Cena winning the title. The only difference this time is that I won't mind seeing him get the win.

World Heavyweight Championship Match: Chris Jericho (champ) vs. Edge
This too has a nice story surrounding it, dating back to last summer. If given time, this could be one hell of an awesome match. I do have some concerns about how healthy Edge is coming off that injury, but if he's ready to go, this one could be an instant classic. Frankly, I like both of these guys so I'll be happy either way. I'll pick Jericho to find a sneaky way to survive, but I won't be surprised by either man winning.

No Holds Barred Match: Bret "the Hitman" Hart vs. Vince McMahon
If you're any kind of wrestling fan, you know the story here. This will not be a mat classic, but certainly could be a fun garbage brawl. I'll pick Bret here as logic dictates the only way that this match should end is by having Vince tap like a little girl while in the Sharpshooter. However, it seems like that moment would be more awesome if it took place in Canada. I don't know how long Bret is committed to doing this though, so I'll say his happy moment comes here.

Money in the Bank Ladder Match
From my perspective, this match has 9 midcarders and Christian. For that reason, he seems like the only logical choice here to get the win. Of course, the purpose of the match is really not about who wins, but how many highspots can they cram into this thing. And with guys like Evan Bourne, Shelton Benjamin, and Kofi Kingston involved, I'm sure those spots will not be in short supply.

Triple H vs. Sheamus
It feels strange seeing HHH in such a low-profile match at the big show. But it's also kind of nice to see him take a back seat for once. I'm not entirely convinced in the drawing power of Sheamus, but he's HHH's buddy in real life, so I'm sure Trips will do everything in his power to make him look strong. For that reason, I'll call Sheamus with the upset victory here.

Triple Threat Match: Randy Orton vs. Ted Dibiase vs. Cody Rhodes
The only real dud on the card. In a match that I'm dubbing the "Megadouches Explode", I really don't care who wins or loses. I've given up faith in them being able to properly build up Dibiase or Rhodes as legitimate threats. For some reason, fans seem to be trying to make Orton a face again, which will likely be a disaster. I'll say Orton gets the win, but really who cares?

Unified Tag Team Championship Match: ShowMiz vs. John Morrison and R-Truth
This is the only match that feels like it's more of a TV type match than a Wrestlemania match. Still, I'm glad they found a way to get these guys on the show. Miz has really developed his persona and wrestling skills and having him team with Show only improves his profile. There's still more to do with that team, while Morrison and R-Truth have only begun teaming for this match. For that reason, I see a fairly easy win coming for ShowMiz.

Rey Mysterio vs. CM Punk
The stip here is that if Rey loses, he has to join Punk's Straight Edge Society. Punk's got one of the best characters going right now and I would hate to see his momentum stalled with a loss here. It could be a lot of fun seeing Rey forced into this group against his will. If Rey wins, that kind of ends this story and does no one any good. For the sake of good storytelling, I'm picking Punk to get the victory.

10-Diva Tag Team Match
Certainly a bathroom break match, but on this loaded card, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll pick the face team to win here, not just because it's Wrestlemania but because I find most of the heel divas to be pretty loathsome and worthless. As long as they don't blow too many spots, this will be fine.

And there you have it, a 10 match show along with a lot of the extracurriculars that are associated with Mania (i.e. celebrities, Hall of Famers, etc.) I'm really excited to see how the show will look in Arizona too. All indications are that the stadium's roof will be open, which should create an awesome atmosphere. I hope everyone enjoys the show and reverts back to that 10 year old mark that we all have inside of us.

No comments: