Friday, December 27, 2013

2014 Movie Preview: #30 - Transformers: Age of Extinction

So I am doing my list of most anticipated films for the new year slightly different this year. Instead of doing big long posts that chronicle five or six films leading up to #1, I am going to give each of these films their own moment in the sun by doing individual posts on each of them. This way I can break up the posts a little bit more with additional content as we work our way to #1.

I know most people (myself included) seem to be already looking beyond next year to 2015 given the slate of major blockbusters already set to come out, but that doesn't mean that 2014 is without merit. There are still plenty of films to get excited about, so let's get right to the list.

Release date: June 27

Plot summary: This is the fourth installment in the Transformers franchise. Michael Bay returns to direct once again. Not much is known about the story thus far, but there are rumors that this fourth film will feature Dinobots. Mark Wahlberg is set to star in the film.

My take: I was this close to leaving this film off my list, given my less than enthusiastic response to the previous films. However, there are signs that this latest entry may still have merit. The fact that Shia Labeouf will not be returning gives me hope that the human side of the story will be more tolerable. Plus Wahlberg has shown he knows how to do action films, so having him on board can't hurt. The rumor of Dinobots being included is intriguing and could help to breath some new life into this franchise.

No comments: