Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter 7 thoughts (NO SPOILERS)

So after Jim left early Sunday morning, I was finally able to crack open Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which I received through Amazon on Saturday. In fear of having anything spoiled, I did nothing but plow through the book. It took me about 10 hours, although I'll probably read it again as I probably missed a point or two along the way.

I have to say that I loved the book. Without giving anything away I thought it did a wonderful job of tying up loose ends, providing a ton of drama and action and also paying homage to virtually every character who had ever been introduced in the previous 6 books. For Potter fans, this is a great book. I am very curious though as to how they will make this book into a movie. Even though it's comparable in length to the previous couple of books, there is just so much going on in this one that they'll either have to break it into two films or really gut out a lot of stuff. It's easy to see how Order of the Phoenix could be made into a 2 hour film (since nothing ever happened in that book), but this one can't be handled in the same way.

If you're like me and having already finished it, in fear of spoilers, I'd love to discuss it with you. Although for the sake of everyone, you better email me about it so as not to piss off anyone who hasn't read it yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't finished the book yet, but I like it for the most part. Some of the dialogue seems long for me. I'm more in it for action. When you're talking, you're not acting...unless you're Spiderman in the comics who talks all the while beating on bad guys. One thing that has happened with this book is that without knowing why I have had no desire to push through it quickly, though certainly I'm worried of spoilers out there. I don't know what it is about it, but there seems to be a lot we're not seeing. A character has to rush in and say, "X has happened," but we don't get to see X. I'm so picky. Forgive me.