Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Breach

I caught this at the Blue Ridge tonight and was fairly pleased. It's a decent espionage film with some really good performances. Chris Cooper in general gives me the creeps, so he was perfect for the role he was playing. Ryan Phillipe was fine as the plucky agent wannabe and Laura Linney was good, as always, in the role of the agent in charge of the case.

My only complaint is that there was nothing special about the film. It was a decent story, because it was true, but the filmmaker did nothing to make the film anything memorable. Perhaps it was done intentionally, so as not to glorify what Hanssen did. But I left the theater thinking what was the purpose of making the film. If it was just going to be a throw-away thriller, why do it on a true story. It seemed like there should have been some statement made and I didn't get what that was. Aside from that, though, it's a well-done film and one that was certainly worth my $1.50. B

No comments: